Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spring Lessons





Spring speaks of new life.  But this morning my quiet time was about death.  Death of a king.  This deeply stirred my soul to a place of awe and wonder toward God.

Saul died
 for his breach of faith . . . He did not seek guidance from the LORD.  Therefore the LORD put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David the son of Jesse.  1 Chronicles 10:13-14


King Saul did not seek guidance from the Lord and it cost him his life!  


I am still reeling from this little verse that packs the punch of awe.  Awe toward our God as we consider who He is and what He can do and why He would choose to do it!

Read 1 Samuel 15.  Saul's journey to death began with wanting to appease men and not waiting on the Lord.  Because he did not wait, he sinned by going against the Lord's instructions.  That was it.  He did not wait and he did what he wanted to do.  How many times do I do this myself?

So, Saul died.  First, he died spiritually, living a tormented life for the rest of his physical days.  Then he died physically with his sons and valiant men in battle.  He took others down with him.  







This thought causes wonder to surface.  And wonder asks, "Does it really matter what I do or don't do?" 



When I do not wait for the Lord's direction, my relationship with Him changes.  It becomes stagnant.  I feel empty, closed and grumpy.  Sometimes, I begin searching for things or people to fill me back up.  And this is sin.  It sounds so "politically incorrect" to use that word . . . but when we satisfy ourselves apart from God, we sin.  And, unfortunately, grumpiness and sinful choices effect everyone around me. 

My obedience to Jesus Christ is required for me to abide in the sweetness of His Love.  He wants us to obey so that we are filled with His joy.  (John 15)  Joy is a by product of His life-costing, precious gift to us.

I pray that we walk in His presence experiencing His joy as we consider what He has done for us!   Relish the remembrance of His incredible gift this week and celebrate Him well!

Our Lord lives!
Love always,


No comments:

Post a Comment