Monday, May 23, 2011

Run with Endurance

The sensation of nausea is growing.  I am cold.  The sun is not up yet and the track has puddles of melted snow.  We are running sprints in a line.  Five of us are running.  I am the only one that pulls off to try and regain composure, and NOT throw-up.

I am the oldest in the group, too.  And the lies of inadequacy sneak into the shadows of my thoughts as I believe them.  Embracing them gives them credence.  And then, I respond to them.  The lies begin to control my actions and unless they are exposed for what they are, I stop!

In my car, I hear the lies rumbling around in my head.  They are lies because they produce guilt, self-pity, shame, fear, disappointment, etc.  When I am weary and tired, the lies sneak into the shadows more quickly and it takes longer for the light of Truth to expose them.

Exposing lies comes in many forms, but it is always based in the same foundation: Truth.  Exposure today is in the form of a friend who lives in my town.  He is my age.  He remains disciplined without excuses.  And I brake to watch him run past, so poignant is the moment.



. . . run with endurance the race that is set before you, fixing your eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross despising the shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  For consider Him who endured such hostility by sinners against Himself so that you do not grow weary and lose heart.  (Hebrews 12:1b-3)

Father, You have called me to be disciplined with my body, mind, heart and soul.  You command me to love You with all of it!  (Matthew 22:37-39)  You tell me to buffet my body so that I am not enslaved to it. (1 Corinthians 9:26-27)  You tell me that I am to hold every thought captive. (2 Corinthians 10:5) You tell me to trust You with my heart. (Proverb 3:5-8) You say that You are the rester of my soul. (Matthew 11:28-30) This is all Truth.  

And You give me exactly what I need to be and do all that You ask of me today.  

Thank You.  

And I drive home with a smile in my heart and a lump in my throat.
May you run with endurance the race God has set before you while you fix your eyes on Jesus!
Love always,
Angie


No comments:

Post a Comment