Saturday, July 2, 2011

Manager of the Estate


Darjeeling, India, has the majority of the world's tea estates because the climate and the terrain are perfect for growing tea.  My friend, who has a fair trade business called Yobel Market, visited the estates.  After walking through a couple of them, she noticed that a specific person was making a huge impact.  The impact was evident in the contentedness and joy within the community of workers on some estates as opposed to the downcast countenance and worse working/living conditions on other estates.  


The person who makes the difference carries the title "Manager of the Estate."  This man hires the workers, organizes their schedules, sets the pay scale, cares for their sick, decides which schools the children will attend, settles civil disputes, and grants free time.  In short, he is lord of their lives.  His ability to know and understand the big picture of running a tea estate and to have the ability to communicate with and care for "his people," are the deciding factors between the differences in estates.  


My kitchen counter, where we discuss these differences, is half a world away from Darjeeling.  And the importance of the concept stares at us.  


Who is the "Manager" of our estate, of our lives?


When it is me, I fall short.  I am unable to see the bigger picture and I mess up.  I get tired.  The chores and responsibilities become overwhelming.  And I fall short as manager of my life.


But Jesus does not.  When Jesus is Lord of my life, the circumstances of daily living don't change . . . they are simply managed well because He has full knowledge of the big picture of life, He understands and communicates well.  And, . . . I am most content and joyful when I am surrendered to His authority.


When frustration sets in because I am unable to care for myself, He invites:
Hey there! All who are thirsty, come to the water!  Are you penniless?  
Come anyway—buy and eat!  Come, buy your drinks, buy wine and milk. 
Buy without money—everything's free!

Why do you spend your money on junk food,   your hard-earned cash on cotton candy?


Listen to me, listen well: Eat only the best, fill yourself with only the finest.
Pay attention, come close now, listen carefully to my life-giving, life-nourishing words.
Isaiah 55:1-5  The Message

When I am worn down by the daily schedule of life, He comforts:
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, 
and I will give you rest. 
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, 
for I am gentle and humble in heart, 
and you will find rest for your souls. 
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30

When I lose sight of the fact that I have been created for His purposes and not my own, He reminds me:
For we are God’s workmanship, 
created in Christ Jesus to do good works, 
which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 2:10

Jesus is the Manager of my estate.  Who is yours?
Love always,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment