Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tradition


  

The day begins early as we travel the familiar mountain road.  Sixteen summers we traveled this road.  


And storms have come and gone.


The road winds, with blind curves . . . and must be driven watchfully.


Excitement would build as we came into the last mile before camp. 
Every year, the children ran the last mile.

At 17, she quietly asks from the back seat of the car, "Can I run into camp?"  
Papa grins and stops the car. "Of course you can."

Smiling, she climbs out of the car and runs because it is tradition. 




And this time she runs alone.  As I watch, it catches my heart.  Would I still run the last mile alone?  Run with endurance the race that is set before you . . . God You have been teaching me this from several perspectives this summer.  The lesson is repeating: to run with endurance is to run faithfully.  And success is faithfulness.  
Some traditions help to remind us. And this one?  Run the last mile.  Go the distance.  Pour it all out.  This tradition teaches me:  Traditions are faithfully repeating something worthwhile like: 
     Greeting my husband with a kiss when he walks in the door each evening.
     Prayer at each meal reminding us of God's provision in our lives.
     Telling our children I love them each time they call.
     Standing in the driveway and waving good-bye until the car lights are gone.
     Creating space in our home for people to encounter Jesus by inviting them in.  
     Running into camp, into summer, into work, . . . into life.  Sometimes running alone.  Even as I know I am not really alone because God has promised:  I will never desert you nor forsake you.  Joshua 1:5

Can we really "get out of the car" and run into life?  And I hear our heavenly Papa saying, "Of course you can."
Love always,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment