Sunday, January 1, 2012

His Purpose


The winds have been fierce on the mountain lately, over 100 mile an hour being recorded, a visual of my thoughts as change blows fiercely through.

For 22 years, the same work has met me each morning, steadily evolving as the responsibilities grew.  And the precious responsibilities, our children, are now moving away, grown.


This purpose of my waking is walking out our door into a newness shaped by You, Lord.  And heart-groans murmur at the change, invigorating and scary all at once. Skipping one minute and pounding the next.

Having no set boundaries for how the day is lived, time is given away.  Many good endeavors have ended in frustration, leaving trails of soul-chaos.

A friend, just ahead of me on the road of life, wrote black on white into my grey life:
"I remember how frustrated I was a couple of years ago.  I was so sure I was supposed to be doing something glorious that would fill my life!  But nothing happened.  I looked.  I prayed.  I tried to do things that I was hoping God had in mind for my purpose, but He didn't.  And the more I tried, the more frustrated I got.  One day, I just decided He didn't want me to do anything, but look for Him.  He didn't want me to do ANYTHING, just learn to be content with Him. And I let go of trying to make something happen."
For it is God who works in you, 
both to will 
and work 
for His good pleasure.   
Philippians 2:13

And I am sure of this,
that He who began a good work in you 
will bring it to completion 
at the day of Jesus Christ.
Philippians 1:6

A mentor said to me, "Be content with joy at what the Lord brings into your life."  Content.

The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me  
Psalm 138:8a

And I hear Him repeating content.  And I hear Him directing me to do nothing extra, only look for Him in the circumstances, the chores, the relationships, the life He has already given.


Do I have permission, Father?  Do I have permission to not stay on the treadmill named "Normal" in our fast paced society? Can I give myself permission?  

Fears begin to walk in the back door right as these questions walk in the front.

What if I don't have a job outside our home to give myself relative significance?  What if our finances strangle us and keep our already simple life stripped?  


But, what if that simplicity lets You come through brighter?  What if You become the absolute focus for this time?  
No running.  
     No hiding under a false security of surface crust.  
          Just real life from the deeps You struck when Mama called 
               and when You said to run a disciplined life. . .

So when well-meaning folks ask, "What are you doing now that your children are grown and gone?  What are you doing with this new found freedom?"  And smiles of anticipation spread across their face as they wait for their kind of normal answer . . .

Lord, I wonder at their response if I answered, "I am learning to be a slave?"  Will there be glints of Life in my eyes shining from seeking You?  Or fear of their response?  


Could those words really come out of my mouth?  Could I REALLY LIVE those words and not hide in what others expect of me for their comfort . . . 


And heart-groans murmur at the change, invigorating and scary all at once!  Skipping one minute and pounding the next as my husband says, "Obey God and be fully alive.  Walk past the fears, and stand in that place."

What if we, sweet friend, spent a year
looking for Him
in our daily lives
to honor Him as God 
and
to be thankful?
Romans 1:21

And what if our purpose was to live as His follower, His slave? 

Come to the Table with me, His Table . . . for fellowship with Jesus Christ.
Love always,
Angie

Refresh yourself in the Peace of My Presence.  This Peace can be your portion at all times and in all circumstances.  Learn to hide in the secret of My Presence, even as you carry out your duties in the world.  I am both with you and within you.  I go before you to open up the way, and I also walk alongside you.  There could never be another companion as devoted as I am.
Because I am your constant Companion, there should be a lightness to your step that is observable to others.  Do not be weighed down with problems and unresolved issues, for I am your burden-bearer.  In the world you have trials and distress, but don't let them get you down.  I have conquered the world and deprived it of power to harm you.  In Me you may have confident Peace.
Sarah Young, Jesus Calling 

No comments:

Post a Comment