Thursday, January 5, 2012

Stumbling to Follow



Bible study digests best when shared at the table, quietly in a journal or with others.  

Once a week, several of us gather to share the Word and life.  We share scripture and our stories that make the scripture come alive.

Father, my mind has settled on being a follower of Jesus.  But I stumbled immediately trying to  physically follow.  

My bed was warm this morning and my study space cold.  I chose wrongly.  

Chores tripped me.  I must cross a sea of laundry to get to my study space.  I picked up clothes to start the washing which led to folding and then piles cried out to be delivered.  I chose wrongly.

The phone rang, dishes stacked, guests multiplied, . . . and I am realizing more deeply that following You is not for the faint hearted. 

We remind each other that His flesh walked this earth.  He encountered similar struggles and showed us the way to walk without stumbling.  We speak truth into the lies of being unable to follow.  We set a priority schedule to try again.

Then we go home.  

Am I going to be the same woman in the privacy of my own home as I was at Bible study, as I am in public?  Am I just as committed in my own home and alone in my heart where only You can see, as I was with my friends?

"Yes," whispers from the deeps,  "because I have brought a cloud of witnesses even into the privacy of your home. So, lay aside anything that causes you to stumble or anything that causes you to sin.  And you are to run with endurance through your day, fixing your eyes on My Son."  Hebrews 12:1-2 Angie paraphrase

His flesh walked, my flesh stumbles and struggles trying to learn to walk.  And I look for help.  

Help says, "Follow Me." Luke 9:23  And Help says, "I have covered your stumbles and struggles with My Crazy Love, bright red.  Don't run away from the struggles, because as you learn to stand and follow Me, proven character will result.  And after proven character comes hope and hope does not disappoint because the love of God is being poured out within your heart . . . "  Romans 5:3-5 Angie paraphrase

Thank You, Lord, for hope. 
Love always,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment